August 5, 2012

Contentment: July 31, 2012

Today's Word for Tuesday July 31, 2012

CONTENTMENT

DEFINITION:

Being satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.

SCRIPTURE:

"Be content with what you have, because God has said, 'never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.'"  Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)

KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:

Everyone looks for contentment in their life. Many search for it their whole life and never find it. In the Bible two men, each from very different circumstances in life, give us a summary of their lives.

In his own words this is what one man said concerning his life: I have worked hard, been in prison frequently, been flogged severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods and once I was stoned.

I was shipwrecked three times and spent a night and a day adrift in the sea. I was constantly on the move from place to place. I have been in danger from rivers and bandits. I have labored and have often gone without sleep. I have known hunger and thirst and have gone without food many times. I have been cold and naked. This account is from II Corinthians 11:23-27.

The other man gave this account of his life: I had more riches and wisdom than anyone else. I had a beautiful palace. I built houses for myself and planted vineyards, gardens and parks. I had much silver and gold. I received 25 tons of gold a year. I denied myself nothing in life. I had 12,000 horses, 4000 stables and 1400 chariots. I did not refuse my heart from any pleasure. I had 700 wives and 300 concubines. I had everything a man could desire.

It would seem that only the second man had reason to be content. The man who had everything was Solomon. You can read about his riches in I Kings 10:14 to 11:3. Although he had everything he tells us that he did not have contentment in them. To paraphrase Solomon's own words he said that, as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all just meaningless. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere. (Ecclesiastics 2:11).

In verse 13 of Ecclesiastics Solomon tells us what became meaningful to him. He said, "Here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep His commandments."

The first man who described his life as one of hard work and suffering was the apostle Paul. It would seem unlikely if not impossible, humanly speaking, to find contentment in the life that Paul endured. In his own words Paul said: "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation." Philippians 4:12.

Paul found contentment in his life because he was doing what God wanted him to do -- preach the gospel. Paul did not see his life as meaningless because he was focused on pleasing God, not on pleasing his personal desires. Paul's conclusion was: "For me to live is Christ." (Philippians 1:21).

True contentment is never based on our circumstances. The writer of Hebrews gives those of us who believe in God the reason we can be content with what we have. It is because we have God’s promise that He will never leave us nor forsake us. (Hebrews 13:5) This is a priceless promise, worth more than anything in the world.

For us as believers, contentment comes from the inner peace we have from our faith in God. Are you frustrated, worried, angry and discontent because of circumstances in your life? If so then it is time for you to turn them over to the Lord in prayer. Jesus wants us to give all of our anxiety and worry to Him because He cares for us. (I Peter 5:7)

If you are seeking contentment you will find it in loving the Lord, keeping His commandments and in living for Him.

LEARNING:

Our memory verse for this week is found in I Corinthians 3:11:

For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

PRAYER:

Help me, dear Lord, to seek contentment in loving and knowing You. Help me to obey Your commandments and to guide my children on the right path of life by teaching them to obey Your commandments. May each of us in our family have faith in You and not in the things of this world we live in.


Welcome ~ Ministry Programs ~ Make a Donation ~ Product Catalog
Family Prayer Partners
~ Family Devotional ~ Statement of Faith ~ Contact Us

 

Copyright©2009. All Rights Reserved. The content of this Christian religious blog dedicated to
bringing Bibles to people all over the world is owned exclusively by World Bible Society. Legal Disclaimer

Christian Religious Blog and Website Design by Flagstaff Central.com, Inc.
Content Management System Powered by iUpdateIt.com