January 27, 2013

Deal: January 22, 2013

TODAYS WORD FOR TUESDAY JANUARY 22, 2013

DEAL

DEFINITION:

Negotiate; trade; do business with; an agreement.

SCRIPTURE:

"I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me one of your hired servants." Luke 15:19

KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:

All of us like to make a good deal. This is especially true in bargain shopping. Many, trying to make a good deal for themselves, do their best to not give up anything in return or at least very little. We travel a lot and see little items that we would like to get to take home with us as a reminder of our visit to that locale. Dottie constantly reminds Ken, who is the bargainer, that these people who are selling their wares are relying on what we give them to live.

If you can identify with what we are saying about deals then you can understand what the prodigal son was trying to do when he arrived home. Basically he had made a fool of himself and lost everything and now wanted to come home and make a deal with his father.

There were three kinds of servants in that day. There were part-time day workers that were paid on a day by day basis. There were hired servants that worked very long hours on the estate that they worked on but lived in town so they had their own independence. And there were bond servants that lived on the estate and gave all of themselves, day and night, to serving the family.

It is interesting that when the prodigal son hit rock bottom and came home with his planned apology, he was going to ask if he could become a hired servant. In light of this possibility he was trying to negotiate a deal so that he could get a paycheck and continue his independence. Why did he not ask to be a bond servant and be willing to serve his father all the time?

Often we approach God in this manner. We try to make a deal with God. Have you ever said to God that you would serve Him but please God do not take away my freedom? Let us remind you that that may seem a good deal at the time but God's deal is always so much better. The prodigal son thought it would be a good deal for him if he could just be one of his father's hired servants. His father had an even better deal for him. He received him back as his son. Just like the prodigal son's father, Jesus has his arms wide open ready and willing to receive repentant sinners as part of His family. There could be no better deal for any of us than to rush today to His open arms and accept His gift of forgiveness and salvation.

LEARNING:

Our memory verse for this week is found in Galatians 2:20.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I that live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

PRAYER:

Thank You dear Lord for the deal You have given me. Thank You that You have given Your Son to pay the penalty for my sins. Thank You that You have given me salvation. Give me a desire to serve You with all my heart and all of my strength. Help me to share my love for You by all I do and say.

Welcome ~ Ministry Programs ~ Make a Donation ~ Product Catalog
Family Prayer Partners
~ Family Devotional ~ Statement of Faith ~ Contact Us

 

Copyright©2009. All Rights Reserved. The content of this Christian religious blog dedicated to
bringing Bibles to people all over the world is owned exclusively by World Bible Society. Legal Disclaimer

Christian Religious Blog and Website Design by Flagstaff Central.com, Inc.
Content Management System Powered by iUpdateIt.com